Category: The Strip

On this Date: March 17, 1989, Famous Las Vegas Artist Montyne passed away

March 17, 2017
Montyne

Montyne Sculpture in Front of Circus in 1999

Born Sherman LaMont Sudbury, known as Montyne (November 23, 1916 – March 17, 1989) was an American artist and stage performer. He was best known for his sculptures that once stood in front of Circus Circus Las Vegas and for his View-Master scenes of Tarzan of the Apes.

Montyne moved to Las Vegas in 1968 to sculpt the statues in front of Circus Circus. The first, The Balancer, was a self-portrait, depicting him as an acrobat. This heroic-size statue in 1978 was featured on the front cover of 35mm Photography. The work at one time was one of the most-photographed sculptures in the world. Over the next three years, he created four more statues: the Lion, the Clown, Gargantua the gorilla, and his wife China who was featured balancing on a rolo-board. In the photo above you can see the clown and the lion on the sidewalk in from of Circus Circus on Las Vegas Blvd. (The Strip).

While working on the statues at Circus Circus, Montyne also was commissioned to create the wall murals in the convention hall at the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino on Flamingo Road (1973). The casino was longer than a football field, and on the 15 ceiling arches were Montyne’s murals. The murals were destroyed in the 1980 MGM Grand fire.

Montyne passed away at the age of 72 and is buried in Las Vegas.

Clown Circus Circus

The last standing Montyne sculpture in front on Circus Circus – 2015

Photo by: LasVegas360.com

Posted by: Vegas Info      catagory On This Date, The Strip, Vegas comments Leave a comment

On This Date: February 28, 1906 Benjamin “Bugsy” Siegel was Born

February 28, 2017
Bugsy Siegel Mug Shot

Bugsy Siegel an American Mobster

On this date: Benjamin “Bugsy” Siegel was born February 28, 1906. In 1945. Bugsy Siegal, was instrumental in establishing the first resort on the now famous Las Vegas Strip with the opening of the Flamingo Hotel & Casino.

Siegel opened The Flamingo Hotel & Casino at a total cost of $6 million on December 26, 1946. Billed as the world’s most luxurious hotel, the 105-room property and first luxury hotel on the Strip, it was built seven miles from Downtown Las Vegas.

Posted by: Vegas Info      catagory On This Date, The Strip, Vegas comments Leave a comment

On This Date: February 21, 2014 The Cromwell Opened on the Las Vegas Strip

February 21, 2017
The Cromwell

The Cromwell – artist Rendering

On February 21, 2014 the Cromwell opened on the Las Vegas Strip. The property started as the Barbary Coast which opened on March 2, 1979, then sold and renamed Bill’s Gambling Saloon. Bill’s closed on February 4, 2013 and was sold. It remained closed for renovations for over a year and after a $185 million remodel, it opened as a boutique hotel called the Cromwell. The Cromwell currentyl owned and operated by Caesars Entertainment.

Posted by: Vegas Info      catagory On This Date, The Strip, Vegas comments Leave a comment

On This Date: February 15, 2008 the Monte Carlo Reopens After Fire

February 15, 2017
Monte Carlo Resort

Monte Carlo Resort and Casino fire broke out on January 25, 2008

On January 25, 2008, at 10:57 AM, a fire broke out on the exterior of the top six floors of the Monte Carlo Resort and Casino. The fire was on the exterior of the building burning the foam facade. The ignition of the facade wall was attributed to welding on a catwalk on the roof. The hotel and casino were evacuated with no major injuries or deaths during the fire, which lasted a little more than an hour. The hotel remained closed for 21 days and The hotel & casino reopened to guests on February 15, 2008. MGM Mirage officials put the total losses due to fire damage and loss of business at just under $100 million.

Photo by: wikipedia.org

Posted by: Vegas Info      catagory On This Date, The Strip comments Leave a comment

On This Date: February 4, 2013, Bill’s Gamblin’ Hall and Saloon Closed

February 4, 2017
Bills-gamblin-hall

Bill’s Gamblin’ Hall and Saloon closed on February 4, 2013

Bill’s Gamblin’ Hall and Saloon closed on February 4, 2013. Originally opened as the Barbary Coast on March 2, 1979.  The casino was built by Michael Gaughan and opened in March at a cost of $11.5 million. Over time, this property, along with others owned by Gaughan would become Coast Casinos Inc. Gaughan shared partnership in the Barbary Coast with Kenny Epstein, Tito Tiberti, Frank Toti and Jerry Herbst.

In July 2005, the Barbary Coast Hotel & Casino was bought by Boyd Gaming. again, in September of 2005, Boyd purchased the 4.3 acres of land under the hotel for $16 million. The hotel had previously been leasing the land.

In 2007, Boyd gave the Barbary Coast to Harrah’s Entertainment in exchange for the 24-acre site of the demolished Westward Ho, to be used for the Echelon Place project. The Barbary Coast closed at 2:00 a.m. on February 27 and reopened on March 1, newly rebranded as Bill’s Gamblin’ Hall and Saloon, in honor of company founder Bill Harrah.

After nearly six years of continuous operations, Bill’s closed on February 4, 2013 for renovation into a boutique hotel. Plans call for remodeling of the guest rooms and casino floor, a new restaurant, and construction of a 65,000 square foot rooftop pool and dayclub/nightclub and will reopen as the Cromwell.

Photo by: Larry D. Moore CC BY-SA 3.0
Date Taken: 2 November 2, 2007

Posted by: Vegas Info      catagory On This Date, The Strip, Vegas comments 1 Comment

On This Date: January 27, 2015 White Castle Opens on the Las Vegas Strip

January 27, 2017
White Castle

White Castle opens on the Strip

On January 27, 2015 at the stroke of midnight, White Castle opened on the Las Vegas Strip. This is the first White Castle east of the Mississippi River. White Castle has over 400 store located in the Midwestern and Mid-Alantic states. White Castle is famous for their small square shaped burgers served with grilled onions, ketchup, mustard and pickles. Some people refer to these small greasy burgers as “Sliders”. This iconic burger chain follows in a long migration of fast-food to the glittering lights of Las Vegas including: In-n-out, Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, and Five-guys.

White Castle located on the Las Vegas Strip in the Casino Royale, 3397 Las Vegas Blvd. S., Las Vegas, NV as is open 24 hours a day.

UPDATE:  In less than 24 hours of the restaurant opening, they had to close to restock and do maintenance.

Posted by: Vegas Info      catagory On This Date, The Strip, Vegas comments Leave a comment