Category: Downtown

Downtown Las Vegas, also know as Glittergulch, the areas around downtown include East Fremont, Symphony Park, and the Arts District.

On This Date, August 29, 2007 runaway chlorine tank car rolls through Las Vegas

August 29, 2015
Actual Photo of Chlorine Tank

Actual Photo of Chlorine Tank

On this day August 29, 2007, a runaway chlorine tank car traveled approximately 22 miles through the heart of Las Vegas. The tank car hit a top speed of 50 mph before stopping in the Northern part of Las Vegas. The tank car was fully-loaded with chlorine, a toxic irritating chemical. The tank care had broken free from a rail yard on the South end of the Las Vegas Valley around 9 a.m. The tanker’s speed reached 50 mph. Fortunately no one was hurt and there was no damage or leak of chlorine during the incident.

Posted by: Vegas Info      catagory Downtown, Locals, On This Date, The Strip, Vegas comments Leave a comment

On This Date: July 2, 1971 The Union Plaza in Downtown Las Vegas Opened

July 2, 2015

The Plaza, originally named the Union Plaza (Photo by: LasVegas360.com)

Photo by: LasVegas360.com

 

The “Union” was removed in 2011 (Photo by: LasVegas360.com)

Opened on July 2, 1971 with the owners including local businessmen: Sam Boyd, Frank Scott, Howard Cannon and Jackie Gaughan. Its original name was Union Plaza, in reference to the Union Pacific railroad station that originally stood at the site.

In the 1971 James Bond film, Diamonds Are Forever, the construction of the Union Plaza is visible in the background. In the 1989 film Back to the Future Part II, a model of the Plaza serves as the hotel tower.

The hotel portion closed on November 11, 2010. The hotel re-opened September 1, 2011 as the Plaza.

Re-modeled rooms of the Plaza in 2011

Re-modeled rooms of the Plaza in 2011

Posted by: Vegas Info      catagory Archive, Downtown, On This Date comments Leave a comment

On this Date: June 2, 1966 The Four Queens Hotel & Casino Opened in Downtown Las Vegas

June 2, 2015
4 Queens in downtown Las Vegas

4 Queens in Downtown Las Vegas

Construction began on the Four Queens Hotel and Casino November 16, 1964. The hotel & casino opened on June 2, 1966 in Downtown Las Vegas on Fremont Street. The casino is named after the builder Ben Goffstein’s four daughters, Faith, Hope, Benita, and Michele. It originally contained only 120 rooms and a 20,000 sq. ft. casino.

Today the casino occupies the entire block bordered by Fremont St, Casino Center, Third Street, and Carson Avenue. The hotel has 690 rooms and a expanded casino of 50,000 sq. ft. The Four Queens was also a partner in renovating the downtown area and creating the Fremont Street experience.

The Four Queens is currently by TLC Casino Enterprises, Inc.

Photo by: LasVegas360.com

Posted by: Vegas Info      catagory Downtown, Locals, On This Date comments Leave a comment

On this Date: May 31, 2000, the Golden Nugget and all of Steve Wynn’s other Strip properties where sold to Kirk Kerkorian

May 31, 2015
Golden Nugget Hotel and Casino in Downtown Las Vegas

Golden Nugget Hotel and Casino in Downtown Las Vegas

On May 31, 2000, the Golden Nugget (and all of Steve Wynn’s other properties) was sold to Kirk Kerkorian; the consolidated corporation was known as MGM Mirage and has been the largest casino corporation in Las Vegas since that date.

The Mirage

The Mirage

MGM Grand Hotel & Casino

MGM Grand Hotel & Casino

Photos By: LasVegas360.com,
Clément Bardot (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Posted by: Vegas Info      catagory Downtown, Locals, On This Date, The Strip, Vegas comments Leave a comment

On This Date: May 29, 2003 The Closed Moulin Rouge Caught Fire

May 29, 2015
Moulin Rouge

Moulin Rouge Neon Sign in West Las Vegas

The Moulin Rouge opened on May 24, 1955, built at a cost of $3.5 million. It was the first integrated hotel casino in the United States. Until that time almost all of the casinos on the Strip were totally segregated—off limits to blacks unless they were the entertainment or labor force.

The hotel was located in West Las Vegas, where the black population was forced to live. West Las Vegas was bounded by Washington Avenue on the north, Bonanza Road on the south, H Street on the west, and A Street on the east. The establishment was a model of eye-catching, 110 rooms, a gorgeous showroom, swimming pool, restaurant/coffee shop, dress-shop, and bar which was constructed of highly polished and expensive hardwoods. When it opened, the Moulin Rouge was fully integrated top to bottom, from employees to patrons to entertainers.

The hotel made the June 20, 1955, cover of Life magazine, with a photo of two showgirls. A veritable “A” list of performers regularly showed to party until dawn. Great black singers and musicians such as Lena Horne, Sammy Davis Jr., Louis Armstrong, Sarah Vaughan, Nat King Cole, Duke Ellington, Dorothy Dandridge, Harry Belafonte, Pearl Bailey, and Count Basie would perform often. These artists were banned from gambling or staying at the hotels on the Strip.[1] In addition, white performers, including George Burns, Jeanette MacDonald, Tallulah Bankhead, Judy Garland, Marlene Dietrich, Frankie Laine, Maurice Chevalier, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Jack Benny, Sophie Tucker and Frank Sinatra, would drop in after their shows to gamble and perform. Eventually management added a 2:30am “Third Show” to accommodate the crowds.

In November 1955 the Moulin Rouge closed its doors, and by December 1955, the casino had declared bankruptcy. Nevertheless, to maintain its gaming license, the Moulin Rouge (like many closed properties) operates on a temporary basis for a state-mandated minimum of eight hours every two years, most recently on June 19, 2012.

On May 29, 2003, a fire ripped through the buildings, almost entirely gutting the complex.

Photo by: Wikipedia

Posted by: Vegas Info      catagory Downtown, Vegas comments Leave a comment

On This Date: May 21, 2010, The Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health Opened

May 21, 2015
Lou Ruvo

Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health – Designed by Frank Gehry

The Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health, officially the Cleveland Clinic Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health, opened on May 21, 2010 in Las Vegas, Nevada that is operated by the Cleveland Clinic and was designed by world-renowned architect, Frank Gehry of Gehry Partners in Santa Monica, California.

The Lou Ruvo Center sits on the corner of  West Bonneville and South Grand Central Parkway in Downtown Las Vegas.

Photo By: lasvegas360.com

 

Posted by: Vegas Info      catagory Downtown, On This Date comments Leave a comment