On January 25, 2008, at 10:57 AM, a fire broke out on the exterior of the top six floors of the Monte Carlo Resort and Casino. The fire was on the exterior of the building burning the foam facade. The ignition of the facade wall was attributed to welding on a catwalk on the roof. The hotel and casino were evacuated with no major injuries or deaths during the fire, which lasted a little more than an hour. The hotel remained closed for 21 days and an estimated loss of $100 million due to the fire and resulting closure.
- On This Date: August 23, 2014 – SLS, Little League, Lion’s Share Jackpot
- On This Date: August 20, 1964 -The Beatles Performed in Las Vegas
- On This Date: August 18, 2000, The Aladdin Re-opens
- On This Date: August 14, 1965, Jane Fonda Marries Roger Vadim at the Dunes in Las Vegas
- Daily Neon: The Horseshoe Casino Neon Sign